- Have you dreamed about witnessing some of the darkest, clearest, night skies on Earth? Look no further than my photography expedition to the Atacama Desert in Chile! We will stay at a beautiful astronomy lodge and explore the wonders around San Pedro de Atacama for 7 days.
THINGS TO NOTE
Have you dreamed about witnessing some of the darkest, clearest, night skies on Earth? Look no further than my photography expedition to the Atacama Desert in Chile! We will stay at a beautiful astronomy lodge and explore the wonders around San Pedro de Atacama for 7 days.
What is included
On-site lodging. Shared rooms and private rooms are available.
Myself as your professional photography guide.
Post-processing training in Photoshop and Lightroom for creating publication and print quality photographs.
Detailed lesson on navigating the night sky performed by myself, a former Astronomy Ranger at Mt. Rainier National Park.
Light refreshments during the field instruction and classroom sessions.
Small group size of 6 students.
What is not included?
What should I bring?
DSLR/mirrorless SLR digital camera.
Wide angle lens such as 14-24mm. Also worth bringing are a 24-70mm and 70-200mm.
Sturdy tripod and ball head.
Multiple charged batteries, battery charger, and empty memory cards.
Shutter release cable (intervalometer).
A portable astronomy tracker for long exposures if you would like.
Headlamp with a red light setting.
Laptop computer with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom installed.
Warm clothing, thermals, and rain gear.
* I recommend ordering a L-bracket for your camera body if you do not already have this accessory. L-brackets allow quickly swapping between landscape and portrait orientation while keeping portrait shots to remain centered over the tripod
Permits and Certifications:
- In the event of an emergency, I am certified in CPR and First Aid.
- I am trained in the practice of Leave-no-Trace hiking and camping to protect the natural resources.
- Lastly, I served as an Astronomy Ranger at Mount Rainier National Park where we received Interpretive Ranger Training on how to best facilitate visitor experience and learning!
ABOUT YOUR EXPEDITION LEADER
I am a professional photographer with 15 years of experience and a passion for education. Along with a Master's degree in Geology and Planetary Science, I hold a teaching degree and was a National Park Service Astronomy Ranger. Currently, I continue my passion for adventure by installing telescopes for astronomical observatories around the world. My work has been published internationally, and in 2016 my Star Trails over Mount Rainier photo was selected as a Forever Stamp celebrating the National Park Service Centennial. The goal of my teaching is for my student's to reach their potential and create emotional imagery that inspires the next generation to get outside and adventure.
CANCELLATIONS + REFUNDS
A non-refundable deposit to hold your spot for the workshop is $500. Full refunds (excluding the deposit) will be given if a student has to withdraw, but must be requested no later than 6 months prior to the start of the workshop. 50% of the workshop payment (not including the deposit) will be refunded if requested within 4 months to the start of the tour. In the event of a weather related emergency, or any other circumstance causing the workshop to be canceled, a voucher for an upcoming workshop will be issued. We recommend purchasing travel insurance to cover your trip.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RISK
By joining this workshop you are acknowledging there at inherent risks during hiking and being in the outdoors. You accept full responsibility for taking care of yourself during this workshop. By joining the workshop you agree to not hold Matt Dieterich Photography, LLC liable for any injures or damaged equipment. I recommend having insurance on your equipment to protect your investment.
top of page
bottom of page